Upcoming Meetings & Events
- March 21, Fairgrounds, Activity Center 7 pm Guest Speaker: Dr. Geoff Stevens “Animal Health”
- May 13 Sheep tagging 7-9:30 am Walworth County Fairgrounds Sheep Barn.
Show Prep Reminders
Remember that breeding sheep and other sexually intact sheep must have a scrapies tag in order to exhibit at the Walworth County Fair. This includes market ewes and rams, regardless of age. Wethers intended for slaughter, which are less than 18 months old, do NOT need scrapies tags, even if the animals were acquired across state lines. Scrapies tagging is a family farm responsibility.
Lose an RFID Tag?
If any of your market lambs lose their RFID tag between now and the start of fair, it is your responsibility to contact Tim Ehlen at 608-676-2569 to have the animal retagged. Please look for and be ready to turn in the old tag that is being replaced. Any animals that show up at the fair without a tag will be subject to mandatory DNA testing at the exhibitor’s expense (approximately $100).
Project Forms and Information
- Sheep Managerial Form
- Sheep Project Summary Form
- Individual Lamb Drug History Records
- Sheep Carcass Buyers Card
- Animal Destination Card – Beef, Sheep, & Swine
- One mandatory meeting
What counts as a Mandatory Meeting?
- MAQA training
- Any scheduled county sheep project meeting
- Attendance at the 2016 Sheep Carcass Evaluation counts for 2017
- Attendance at the 2017 Sheep Carcass Evaluation counts for 2018
- Nasco sheep demonstration in May
- MAQA study guide
- MAQA Website
- UW-Madison Animal Science Page
- Sheep Quality Assurance
- American Sheep Industry Association
- Wisconsin Sheep Breeders Cooperative
Contact project leader Tim Ehlen at 608-676-2569.