Nutrition & Food Safety
Very Veggie - Incorporating More Vegetables and Fruits into Your Diet
Thursday, May 29, 2014; 3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
Matheson Memorial Library, 101 N. Wisconsin Street, Elkhorn
You don’t have to become a vegetarian to enjoy more fruits and vegetables in your diet! A trip through your local farmer’s market or grocery store might have you confused about what to do with items like kale, daikon, or ugli fruit. Join your Walworth County UW-Extension Family Living Educator Jenny Wehmeier as she provides a general overview of the importance of increasing your fruit and vegetable consumption while sharing samples of meatless and animal free products.
- Introduction to Food Preservation – May 14
- Pressure Canning & Dehydrating Meats – June 2
- Pressure Canning & Dehydrating Meats – July 2
- Pickling – July 28
- Canning Veggies & Salsa s- August 19
Cost: $40 for 1 hands-on class, $75 for 2 hands-on workshops, or $100 for all 3 hands-on workshops!
Do you remember the smells coming from your grandmother’s kitchen during pickling, jam, or salsa time? Are you struggling with where to start? Join Master Food Preservers Jenny Wehmeier & Jo Hart for a workshop series on the basics of preserving all of your favorite produce. Anyone 16 and older is welcome to attend this workshop series. Participants must attend a classroom instruction to participate in the hands-on workshops. Hands-on workshops have limited room, so register early! For more information or to register, see the 2014 Home Canning Workshops brochure.
The premier resource for food safety & health information for Wisconsin consumers. Your source for up-to-date and research-tested information on food preservation, food safety, starting a small food business, and hot topics in food safety and health.
Research-based help for small meat and poultry processors.
- UW Extension Food and Nutrition Publications
- American Dietetic Association
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition (FDA)
- Food & Nutrition Information Center (USDA)
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Nutrition Facts Labels
- Nutrition and Physical Activity (CDC)