Master Gardener Volunteers
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Bus leaves UW-Extension office in Elkhorn at 9:00 a.m. and returns by 4:00 p.m.
Cost: $13/Walworth County Master Gardener; $39/guest
Price includes bus and Flower Show ticket
For more information on the Chicago Flower & Garden Show, visit www.chicagoflower.com.
Monthly Meeting Notice (2nd Wednesday of the month)
WCMGV Board Meeting Agendas (3rd Thursday of the month)
All members are welcome to attend board meetings to listen to the business of the board. Members wishing to address the board and be added to the agenda need to contact the president of the board by the second Friday of the month. Agendas will be posted here by the end of the day the Monday before the board meeting.
Wisconsin Horticulture Update: Weekly reports by members of the UW-Extension Horticulture Team
Continuing Education Events
- Attend the 2014 Level I Training at the Government Center on select Thursdays from 2:00-5:00 p.m. See the Class Syllabus for more information.
- Level 2 Training Registration: Branching Out
- It’s time to talk trees! Trees are not only important parts of our gardens but play many important roles in our communities. Level 2- Branching Out builds on the introductory topics of Level 1 and will expand into concepts related to community forestry issues.
- 2014 Whole Farm Workshops at Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
- Join Michael Fields Agriculture Institute in East Troy for another season of great Whole Farm Workshops. Topics covered: Soils 101, Cover Crops, Raising Chickens, Fruit Trees, Managing Weeds for Vegetable Production, Organic Certification, Agricultural Business Fundamentals, Bee Keeping, Season Extension, Pest Management, Tractor Safety, Seed Savings, Grant Writing and more! For a complete list of workshops, visit http://www.michaelfields.org/.
- Spring Into Gardening
- Saturday, March 8, 2014; Westosha Central High School, 24617 – 75th Street, Paddock Lake, WI 53168 (Highway 50, about 7 miles west of I-94)
- Cost: $30/person before Feb. 21; $35/person after Feb. 21 – cost includes lunch (not guaranteed if you register on March 8)
- Visit http://kenosha.uwex.edu/2014/01/14/spring-into-gardening/ for more information.
- 8th Annual Smart Gardening Day
Saturday, March 22, 2014; 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Walworth County Government Center, 100 West Walworth Street, Elkhorn
Cost: Adults – $6/class or $20/4 classes; Youth (<18) – $2/class or $5/4 classes
Deadline for registration is Friday, March 14, 2014
Gardeners as well as non-gardeners will find something of interest at Smart Gardening Day, a joint collaboration between Walworth County Home & Community Education, Master Gardeners, and UW-Extension. Attendees can choose one or up to four classes from the 12 planned for the day. A raffle of garden-related items will be held to benefit and HCE Wisconsin Bookworms program, and Masters Gardeners will hold a used garden book sale. Lunch and beverages will be available for purchase. For more information or to register, take a look at the Smart Gardening Day Brochure.
- Landscape Professional Stateline Conference
- Friday, March 28, 2014 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; University of Wisconsin-Rock County, Williams Hall – Lecture Room 130, 2909 Kellogg Avenue, Janesville WI
- Presented by U of I Extension and UW Extension, this half-day conference will provide arborists, landscapers, and other horticulture professionals up-to-date information from Extension Specialists from Wisconsin and Illinois.
- Registration is $20 per person. Visit https://webs.extension.uiuc.edu/registration/?RegistrationID=9485 for more information or to register.
- Certified arborists will receive 1.5 CEUs for completing the program. PLANET recertification is 3 CEUs for completing the program.
- Garden Expectations: Annual WIMGA Conference
- March 28 and 29, 2014; Radisson Paper Valley Hotel, Appleton, WI
- Hosted by Outagamie County Masters Gardener Association, the 2-day event will be jam-packed with wonderful speakers on a wide variety of topics, and you’ll have the opportunity to visit with vendors introducing some interesting and exciting products.
The 2014 Level I Training is currently full. Please contact Chrissy Wen at 262-741-4951 or email email@example.com to be added to a contact list for the 2015 training.